Our prayer walking committee devised the following instructional sheet which we passed out to every person before each walk began. We wanted people to clearly understand our purposes and to know what was expected of them while they walked. We tried to anticipate possible problems and formulate solutions in advance. Because of this, we really never had to do any mop-up work after the fact. Everyone adhered to the rules beautifully because they were so well spelled out.
Summer Prayer Walks – Guidelines
Before the children of Israel crossed the Jordan to take possession of the land of Canaan, “Joshua the son of Nun sent out two men from Acacia Grove to spy secretly, saying, ‘Go, view the land, especially Jericho.'” Just as the two spies did then, we will be surveying the city of Toledo first-before we take possession for the Lord Jesus. What are we up against? What are the spiritual dark forces in high places with which we will battle? Why is the city closed/shut up against the gospel of Jesus Christ? We will find out as we prayerfully walk about Toledo.
Our prayer walks are designed for us to observe the spiritual climate of the city so that we can pray and devise strategies to defeat the enemy. The city is ours to take so let us “be wise as serpents and harmless as doves” (Matt. 10:16). Listed below are some guidelines for you to follow which will protect you as you go out and will bring optimum results for our purposes.
- Remember-this is not a race; please take your time so that the Holy Spirit can show you whatever He wants to.
- Follow the leader assigned to you. Stay within the spiritual and physical boundaries you are given.
- Walk inconspicuously and pray quietly (demons have acute hearing). Don’t carry your Bibles, tambourines, etc. Don’t use this as a witnessing opportunity.
- If your route takes you past a church or school, please take the opportunity to anoint it with oil, if possible. (Leaders, take charge of this.)
- Don’t socialize with your fellow walkers or request personal ministry. This is a time to pray and keep your spiritual eyes and hears open. God may give YOU a key to taking the city. Listen…and pray as the Lord leads.
- At the end of your walk, gather together and share your impressions, visions, etc. with your leader who will use the back of the route sheet to record them. (Leaders, please turn these in to an organizer.)
- Keep praying daily about the things the Lord has shown you. No one person will have all the pieces of the puzzle-God needs and wants all the members of His body to participate.
Thank you for coming! The Pastors and Elders are excited about the vision they have for making Toledo “Holy” and for evangelizing the entire city. By your support you show that you share that vision. God will richly bless you.
More articles on Prayer Walking Toledo